Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Learning and growing...

I was reading the blog of my dear friend (and cousin), Mindi, today (here's a link: http://www.jmfletcherfamily.blogspot.com/). She was writing about her little boy's attempts to wipe his own bum after pooping in the potty (he's not even 4 yet), and it reminded me of this story from my own experiences:

When one of my twins, Mychael, started talking at about 18 months old, she never stopped. She sort of "skipped over" the one- and two-word phrases and jumped right into full sentences. So, one evening shortly after she started talking - she couldn't have been much more than two - I had her in the bathtub with her sister. I had filled the tub up to roughly their armpits, scrubbed them all and washed their hair, etc., and was ready to get them out. I got Bretten out first, wrapped her in a towel, and sent her on to her dad. I hadn't let the water out of the tub yet because I didn't want Mychael to get cold while she was waiting for me to finish with her sister. Mykie, however, anticipating that she would soon get out, stood up in the tub, anyway. She was kind of crouched down with her hands still in the water, when suddenly she straightened, turned to me, and with a look of wonder on her face, said, "Hey!! I've got a HOLE in my bum!"

I don't miss all the work of those earlier days, but I do miss witnessing that constant joy of discovery on little people's faces. Every day would bring something new! As my girls get older, they are still learning, of course (I used to have a boss who said "learning is growing, and if you're not growing, you're dying." I think he was right!) but apparently they get used to it or something because they don't get as excited by their new discoveries as they once did. Now they just have their noses attached to computer screens or buried in cell phones as their thumbs text away. Next I guess it's probably school dances and boyfriends. I can't wait to tell the "hole in my bum" story then....

3 comments:

Kim said...

I love that your blogging. Your stories are funny, you need to put some pictures up.

Anonymous said...

This story will be great for boyfriends, although, I am sure Mykie may not think so!

I remember hearing this story back then and it was so funny. To hear it again now, I think it is even more hilarious now that I have an insiders view on these little discoveries. It is wonderful to watch them everyday.

It wasn't all that long ago Jack informed me that he had a hole in his bum! After getting up from an afternoon nap he said to me, "there is a hole in my butt and I stuck my finger right in it." I thought I was going to die laughing. I, of course, sent him to the bathroom to wash his hands!

Krystal said...

Hey there! I'm so excited to see that you have joined the blogging world! This story is too funny! Kids are so honest and blunt. I can't wait to hear the funny things that my kids will come up with. I'm looking forward to reading your blog because you write so well and it is so entertaining.