Tuesday, February 24, 2009

They're Still Cute!

As Cydanie has gotten older, she doesn't say as many of the really cute, funny things that I used to get such a kick out of when she was little. I don't know how much is due to the fact that she has a much better command of language now, or how much is because she is more self-conscious than she used to be... Either way, I miss all those little gems.

The other day, though, she proved she still has it in her. My mom and dad have been helping me so much at my house - putting in shelves, unpacking, organizing, changing out the water heater, etc., etc., etc., while I'm at work. I try to make it up to them by, at the very least, making them lunch and/or dinner or treating them to the occasional Wendy's or pizza or something. It's the least I can do.

So, we're sitting on whatever available surface we can find (things are still a bit of a wreck!), eating dinner. I can't even remember what I made - chicken pot pie, I think. We ate, watched a little TV, and finally around 7:30-8:00 PM, my dad got up with a groan.

"C'mon, Mother," he says (he always calls my mom "Mother" unless he's mad - then it's "PEG!"). "Let's get going." He's walking along to the front door, hobbled over with sore muscles from all the hard labor he's been putting in. "Man, I'm tired!" he groans.

And with total and complete innocence and sincerity, Cydanie says, "Because you're old?"

We all busted up laughing! Poor Cyd didn't get it. "Well, he is!" she says to me, full of indignity.

So yeah, she's still got some of those things in her, and they're still cute. I hope they never go away completely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me tear up. It seems you can't really appreciate something until you don't have it anymore. Those funny things brighten my day. I never imagined they may go away:( How hilarious is this though! I laughed and cried at the same time. Cyd is a doll and your parents are wonderful!