Thursday, January 8, 2009

Summing Up

My favorite movie in the entire world, is "The Princess Bride." It is over 20 years old, I've seen it a million times, I have the regular DVD and the Anniversary Edition DVD, and yet I will still watch it on TV when it comes on. And I will still laugh! I put that thought out there so that you will understand what the voice in my head sounds like when I say that much has gone on in the six weeks or so since my last post, too much to catch up: "Lemme 'splain. No, there iss to mauch. Lemme sum up."

So here I am, summing up, in no particular order:

I had another one of those "Worst. Day. Ever." kind of days yesterday, based mainly on the fact that The Tool can't get his act together to give me a schedule of when he's going to take the kids, and how upset the ensuing uncertainty makes the kids and makes me. And also the fact that Cyd was mad because they are having her attend a couple of "functional skills" classes next semester, and she wanted to take Art, instead. I said, "Are you going to cooperate and try your best to listen to the teacher and do the things teacher tells you to do, when you're told, and in the way the teacher says, no matter if you want to or not, every single time?" She said, "Well, I'm not sure about that." And I said, "That's why you don't get to take Art!" So after that, I was a "jerk mom." But then Mindi came over and helped me pack and we talked and I cried and I went to bed (too late!) feeling a lot better than when the evening started out.

The Tool is taking over the house - YAY! He should close, hopefully tomorrow but if not, sometime next week. Then I can close on my new place, three days later (we have to wait for the title to the old place to record before they can rescore my credit to put the loan for the new place through....). That is why Mindi and I were packing last night.

I had my gall bladder out on December 30th. I think I had unrealistic expectations about this surgery. Everyone told me, "Oh, it's so easy now, with the scope," and, "This will be a piece of cake! You'll bounce right back!" I'm hear to tell ya, there ain't no bouncin' goin' on around here! Anyone who knows about the problems I've had with my knee, knows that I am no stranger to painful surgeries. So it's not like this one was the worst I've ever had - far from it. I'd put it in my Top Five, though. It's just - truly, I think I just thought it would be easier than it has been.

My parents usually have both our family's Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve parties at their place, but since our extended family has grown so big, and my parents' house has been in the process of being remodeled for the last two years or so, I had both at my house this year. I've been having the New Year's party for years, and will most likely continue to do so. But I haven't had the Christmas Party for a long time. I remember I used to get all twisted up in knots at the idea of people coming over, wanting everything to be just so and all the cleaning and prep and everything. This year, I didn't even take a shower or put make-up on for the New Year's party. I guess when you have a lot of crap going on that you worry about, SOMETHING has got to give, and for me, it has been fussing about what my house looks like. Either that, or I have r-e-a-l-l-y lowered my standards....

That pretty much brings me up to date. Christmas was one of the best ever - not nearly as traumatic (for me, at least) as Thanksgiving (Thanksgiving by myself was hard). The kids are all doing pretty well, all things considered. The divorce is almost a done deal - The Tool and I have pretty much agreed on a settlement, and it is with the attorney being finalized right now. When he is done, Jeff and I will each sign it, then the attorney will file it with the courts, and just like that, nearly 20 years of marriage will be undone. Whatever. Now it's on to bigger and better things.

And at Mychael's request, I have an old story about her comments regarding the propensity for cheese to bring on constipation, that I will share in an upcoming post, plus I want to do a "100 Things About Me" post. And, if you get a chance, you should check out another Natalie Dee post (not for those easily grossed out or offended by foul language) - this one regarding getting relief for a poor constipated preemie, the 11/20/08 post, here: http://blog.nataliedee.com/

So there. Now I have 'splained. Or at least, summed up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever talked to you about how Christmas went and I am really curious what made it one of the best ever. I expected it to be hard, and glad it was great!

I know you will probably have a heart attack, but I have never seen the Princess Bride. I remember my girlfriends always watching that movie, but I would go home because I could not stand to sit and watch T.V. We will have to make a date and watch it together!

I am glad you felt better when you went to bed last night. I didn't realize so much time had gone by... so much for you getting to bed early! I am excited for you to get out of there and have a fresh start in a place of your own. It really is sad when you say that 20 years of marriage can be undone, just like that. But, you are right. Bigger and better things are out there for you and you deserve someone to love and for them to love you.

I won't tell you I know how you feel, because I don't. I don't even think I can imagine it. I will tell you I am sorry, because I am. I do really enjoy talking to you and I wish there was more I could say sometimes, more I could do to help you through it. I do not have the experience or the wisdom, but I will always listen. While I hate the pain you are in, I treasure the relationship that we are building because of it.

Love you- Mindi

Me said...

Mindi Jo, you are a sweetheart. A treasure beyond measure. You make me cry (but in a good way!) I am so glad you had a good time (packing is sucky!) because I so appreciate your help - not only with the packing part, but with just the listening part, too, because as I said, this whole divorce thing is definitely the suckiest thing I've ever had to do. You're awesome and I am so lucky to have you in my life - and I, too, treasure the relationship we are building.

And BTW - Christmas was just good because without The Tool around, I just wasn't stressed trying to make sure he was OK with things. I could do a whole post on this alone, and will, soon. Or, I'll tell you Saturday. :)

Love you!!

Krystal said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are moving along with the house and divorce. I think a bad situation can be made so much worse when it's drug out and seems to last forever.
That's a bummer that the surgery was rough but I'm happy that you were able to have it without complication.